A story of love between two men in the wilderness by Divine Marquis
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
The game begins with a warning that it contains sexual situations between consenting MALE adults and to QUIT the game if this might offend you.
You are a orphan boy in your late teens (you don't know your exact age), carrying a gun. You have been hired by a pioneer named John to help out with his Red River ranch underneath Bareback Mountain. Unfortunately, there's been a drought, the farm's cattle are dying, and John is brooding. You wish there was something you could do to help.
(WARNING: Not only does the game contain sex between two men, it is not flattering. Also, body fluids must be handled at one point.)
- Male homosexuality. It is very unusual for a text adventure to feature a male PC that engages in any sort of same-sex activity.
- Combat system. The player's options are SHOOT, RELOAD, DUCK, and STAND. Unfortunately, the randomness of the combat and the general lack of feedback on what's happening during the combat earn this game its "cruel" rating.
- Very sparse implementation. There are very few items of any kind in the game. Also, although it is somewhat standard in AIF games that male characters only get one implemented body part each (their penises), it is surprising that in this game, which only features men, that the characters are still so minimally implemented.
Trivia and Comments
- The title, Bareback Mountain, is a reference to the film Brokeback Mountain, which is also about same-sex attraction between two men in the Old West. Also, the term "bareback", originally meaning to ride a horse without a saddle, is also gay slang for anal sex without a condom.
- I've listed this under Wilderness instead of Farm since the game fails to implement any of the farm. It's just a farm in name only. -- David Welbourn 16:57, 12 April 2007 (EST)
- Bareback Mountain (Divine Marquis; 02-Jan-2007; Z-code 8).