|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You're a young ensign in the wreckage of an escape pod, stranded on the planet Runoma II. The lifeless body of your colleague lies crushed under the pod's torn door, while your lieutenant has slipped into a sleeping stupor; a spike has ground itself into his left shoulder. None of the other crew members made it.
The desert stretches away in all directions, with the wreckage of the Sirius Dream still blazing to the distant north.
You hear a faint, guttural droning.
- Distress (Mike Snyder; 01-Oct-2005; Hugo).
- Beta-testing by Greg Boettcher, Kevin Venzke, Ray Rantala, Drew Mochak, Zach Flynn, William Head, James Cunningham, Robert Fogt, Ramona & Anna White.
- Distress (Version 1.7)
- IF Comp 2005: 4th place.
- Note: Winner of Best Puzzles, XYZZY Awards 2005. Also, finalist for Best Game, Best Story, Best Setting, Best Individual Puzzle, and Best Use of Medium.
- IFID: HUGO-25-6A-61-09-30-05
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- Files in the hugo/distress/ directory:
- Distress (Mike Snyder; Hugo).
- Distress homepage
- Distress (archived) - at Baf's Guide
- Distress - at IFDB
- Distress - at Home of the Underdogs
- Distress - at SPAG - a review by Valentine Kopteltsev.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Spanish review (.pdf) at SPAC by Baltasar el Arquero.
- Distress - at IFReviews.org
- Solution by Mike Snyder, containing verbose, terse and "speed run" walkthroughs, an author's commentary, and a game map.