|Authoring system||TADS 2|
How It Begins
In the foyer of a NYC museum, four people are caught within its mirrors: A) the wife, B) the critic, C) the boy, and D) the student. Who do you wish to listen to?
You are your choice of PC, carrying nothing. You are here to view twelve paintings by the late Anatoly Domokov. The rest of the museum is to the northeast.
- Multiple PCs. There are four possible PCs: the boy, the critic, the student, and the wife. The player can choose any of the four to play as, and may change to another choice at any time with the CHARACTER command. Characters not used as the PC act as NPCs.
- Puzzleless, at least in the usual sense of a puzzle. Objects are rarely manipulated physically. However, there is, in some sense, a backstory puzzle, presented as a "web" of observations. The player will gradually learn more about the absent artist as the PCs examine and interpret the artist's paintings.
- Optional graphics: the title card image, plus one portrait of each of the PCs. Notably, the artist's paintings themselves are not represented with graphics.
- Optional background music (from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition).
- Easter egg: Each painting contains a reference to one of the twelve zodiac signs, and the magic word ZODIAC provides a hint to the author's identity.
Trivia and Comments
- This was the first of two games Ian Finley entered in IF Comp 1999. The other was the joke CYOA game Life on Beal Street, which was entered anonymously and took 26th place.
Version 2 (Competition entry)
- Exhibition (Ian Finley as "Anatoly Domokov"; 1999; TADS 2).
- IFID wanted. (Please replace this line with a babel template.)
- IF Comp 1999: 5th place of 37 entries.
- XYZZY Awards 1999: Finalist for Best Individual NPC (Anatoly Domokov), Best Individual PC (the wife), and Best Writing.
- Download exhibit.gam ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - The story file.
- Download readem.txt ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - Note from the author on how to use the optional sound files.
- Download boy.mp3 ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - The boy's background music.
- Download critic.mp3 ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - The critic's background music.
- Download student.mp3 ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - The student's background music.
- Download wife.mp3 ( ftp, random) from the IF Archive - The wife's background music.
Version 2.1 (Post-comp release)
- Exhibition (Ian Finley; date TBD; TADS 2).
- Exhibition (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- Exhibition - at IFDB.
- Exhibition - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).
- Feelies for Exhibition - at feelies.org. Note: The file domokov's companion.html is particularly informative for background information and additional insight into this work. Note 2: Link is a Wayback Machine copy; the original feelies.org site disappeared in early 2008.