Golden Banana of Discord
The Golden Banana of Discord is a special prize awarded to the game whose scores have the highest standard deviation.
Physically, it is a crescent of gold cloth stuffed with cotton. You can see a picture of the original banana here. Andrew Plotkin created the first 'teddy banana' and donated it to the 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000).
The banana was originally just a normal prize, and in 2000 it was chosen by Brendan Barnwell, author of The Big Mama. Brendan redonated the banana back to the IF Comp in 2001 with the standard deviation stipulation. Winners of the banana are expected to re-donate it back to the competition in the following year.
In August of 2016, author Hanon Ondricek received a mysterious package in the mail with postmarks from all over the world containing what is purported to be the actual Golden Banana, which is a traveling exhibit from the "GUE Museum of Everything". The artifact was apparently mailed after his GBD win in 2013, but only recently reached its destination. It has been offered THE BANANA DECIDED TO TAKE A WELL-DESERVED VACATION as a prize in the 2016 IFComp. IFComp blog announcement: http://blog.ifcomp.org/post/152685368629/return-of-the-golden-banana
Winners of the Golden Banana of Discord
- The Gostak (Carl Muckenhoupt; 2001; Z-code). IF Comp 2001: 21st place. Standard deviation: 3.05.
- Constraints (Martin Bays; 2002; Z-code). IF Comp 2002: 19th place. Standard deviation: 2.48.
- Sweet Dreams (Papillon; 2003; MS-Windows). IF Comp 2003: 20th place. Standard deviation: 2.26.
- Gamlet (Tomasz Pudlo; 2004; Z-code). IF Comp 2004: 9th place. Standard deviation: 2.51. (Tomasz claims to have donated it to the tsunami victims; nothing excites him more than putting a smile on a child's face.)
- On Optimism (Zach Flynn as "Tim Lane"; 2005; Z-code). IF Comp 2005: 24th place. Standard deviation: 2.30.
- MANALIVE, A Mystery of Madness - I (Bill Powell; 2006; Z-code). IF Comp 2006: 24th place. Standard deviation: 2.34.
- Deadline Enchanter (Alan DeNiro; 2007; Z-code). IF Comp 2007: 12th place. Standard deviation: 2.45.
- Berrost's Challenge (Mark Hatfield; 2008; TADS 2). IF Comp 2008: 10th place. Standard deviation: 2.05.
- Condemned (Mark Jones; 2009; Z-code). IF Comp 2009: 12th place. Standard deviation: 2.22.
- Leadlight (Wade Clarke; 2010; Web browser). IF Comp 2010: 14th place. Standard deviation: 2.29.
- The Life (and Deaths) of Doctor M (Michael D. Hilborn; 2011; Glulx.) IF Comp 2011: 6th place. Standard deviation: 2.24.
- howling dogs (Porpentine; 2012; Twine; Web browser). IF Comp 2012: 11th place. Standard deviation: 2.37.
- Final Girl (Hanon Ondricek; 2013; Storynexus; Web browser). IF Comp 2013: 13th place. Standard deviation 2.83.
- With Those We Love Alive (Porpentine and Brenda Neotenomie; 2014; Twine; Web browser). IF Comp 2014: 5th place. Standard deviation 2.65.
- SPY INTRIGUE (furkle; 2015; Twine). IF Comp 2015: 29th place. Standard deviation 2.75.
- A Time of Tungsten (Devin Raposo; 2016; Twine). IF Comp 2016: 23rd place. Standard deviation 2.47.
- Queer In Public: A Brief Essay (Naomi Z as "Norbez"; 2017; Twine). IF Comp 2017: 70th place. Standard deviation: 2.60.