Lawn of Love
|Lawn of Love|
|Authoring system||TADS 2|
How It Begins
You are a 14 year old named Todd Gack*, wearing a t-shirt. You wake up in a bed in an upstairs bedroom in your grandparents' farmhouse to the sound of music. Through the window, you see your grandpa drive up the gravel driveway in his old Ford. Your jeans are on the desk and your boots are on the floor. It's summer, and all you're interested in right now is finding out where that music came from.
(*The PC's name isn't revealed at first, but it's not a puzzle or secret.)
- When examining some objects, a picture is displayed without any text description. The response to the CREDITS command is also just a picture, although there is text in it.
- When attempting to travel in an invalid direction, a standard error sound-effect is played instead of a text message like "You can't go that way."
- The game includes a hunger daemon; you'll get hungry every 400 turns. Strangely, eating the plate of eggs doesn't satisfy your hunger.
- Conversation is ask-tell, but very few topics are understood by the NPCs.
- Some sloppiness in the coding. The initial room has no name, exits from locations are often omitted, some room descriptions are "painted on", the grandmother is not listed in the room she's in. The game earns a "Cruel" rating because of an unexitable room bug.
- The code uses a score. The maximum score is 100. There is no status bar.
Trivia and Comments
- The name "Þe|v¥n" on the kitchen table is a reference to Delvyn (Santoonie Corporation; 2003; TADS 2).
Competition version (version v1.0)
- Lawn of Love (Santoonie Corporation; 30-Sep-2006; TADS 2).
- Lawn of Love - at IFReviews.org.
- Review by Matthew Carey.
- Review by J. D. Clemens.
- Review by Riff Conner (Rifflesby).
- Review by crowheart.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by Christopher Huang (Miseri).
- Review by Admiral Jota.
- Review by Valentine Kopteltsev.
- Review by Arnel Legaspi.
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by James Mitchelhill.
- Review by Niz.
- Review by quickfur.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by Emily Short.
- Review by Mike Snyder.
- Review by Mark J. Tilford (ralphmerridew).
- Review by Urbatain. (Also longer version, in Spanish.)
- Review by Jerome C West.
- Review by David Whyld.