- Uses the Glk API for I/O.
- Uses the Quetzal save format.
- Supports versions 1 through 8 of Z-machine, version 6 partially.
- Debugger feature based on the Unix GDB debugger.
- Supports Blorb sound and music.
- Unlimited undo and redo.
- Typo correction.
- Automatic map generation.
- Windows Nitfol by Evin Robertson, later patched by David Kinder.
- MS-DOS Nitfol by Evin Robertson.
- Mac OS Nitfol compiled by Andrew Plotkin.
- MS-DOS 32-bit Nitfol compiled by L. Ross Raszewski.
- Linux Glk Nitfol compiled by Simon Baldwin (who also released a patch for at least one other version).
- Nitfol Carbon is a Mac OS X version compiled by Matthew Russotto.