Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
|Ollie Ollie Oxen Free|
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
There is an initial warning about violence and an age 13+ warning.
You play as Mr. Mark Ginsberg, an elementary school teacher at a military base. The game opens as an unknown assailant bombs the base (and consequently the school). At least one teacher is killed and the PC is severely injured as the students scatter in terror. Upon awakening, your goal is to locate and rescue your students.
Due to the PC's injuries, much of the gameplay involves ordering students around with the STUDENT, DO THING syntax.
Relatedly, this PC has inverse kleptomania - he can carry only one small object at a time, and even then only briefly.
The PC is a happily married gay man, making this game an example of incidental homosexuality.
Ollie Ollie Oxen Free has a VERBS command to provide players with a list of all verbs necessary to win the game and appropriate syntax for using them.
Trivia and Comments
The author of this game typically uses "OOxF" as an abbreviation for "Ollie Ollie Oxen Free". This is because "OOOF" looks far sillier than the game's content can justify.
- Ollie Ollie Oxen Free (Carolyn VanEseltine; 29-Sep-2013; Glulx).
- Other contributors: Special thanks to: Wendy Misuinas (answered questions about the military brat experience and pointed to additional research material).
- Testers: Danielle Church, Brie Frame, Jason Hoggatt, Emma Joyce, Colin Sandel, and Anonymous.
- Release 1 / Serial number 130929 / Inform 7 build 6G60 (I6/v6.32 lib 6/12N)
- IFID: D67EA4B1-3533-4A44-9654-575CECBCCFEA
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- IF Comp 2013: entry.
- Download cover.jpg from the IF Archive. A shrunken copy of Inform's default cover art; it can be ignored.
- Download Ollie%20Ollie%20Oxen%20Free.gblorb from the IF Archive. The story file.
- Download ollie_feelies.zip from the IF Archive.