- Note: this competition isn't the same as the Spring ting.
competition that was originally conceived and organized by Adam Cadre. The Spring Thing is designed to operate at the opposite time of year from the annual IF Comp in October, and places a emphasis on both longer and higher quality entries than the IF Comp. To help encourage well-tested entries, the rules once provided a mechanism to disqualify buggy games; however, this was removed in the hopes that the entry fee alone would be enough to discourage low-quality games.
The Spring Things
Organized by Adam Cadre:
- Spring Thing 2002. 1 entry. Winner: Tinseltown Blues (Chip Hayes; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2003. 4 entries. Winner: Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning Against the Parrot Creatures of Venus (Dan Shiovitz, Emily Short, illustrator: J. Robinson Wheeler; TADS 3).
- Note: There was no Spring Thing in 2004.
Organized by Greg Boettcher:
- Spring Thing 2005. 6 entries. Winner: Whom The Telling Changed (Aaron A. Reed; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2006. 4 entries. Winner: De Baron a.k.a. The Baron (Victor Gijsbers; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2007. 4 entries. Winner: Fate (Victor Gijsbers; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2008. 3 entries. Winner: Pascal's Wager (Dave as "Doug Egan"; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2009. 4 entries. Winner: A Flustered Duck (Jim Aikin; Glulx).
- Spring Thing 2010. No entries.
- Spring Thing 2011. 6 entries. Winner: The Lost Islands of Alabaz (Michael Gentry; Glulx).
- Spring Thing 2012. 4 entries. Winner: The Rocket Man from the Sea (Janos Honkonen; Z-code).
- Spring Thing 2013. 3 entries. Winner: Witch's Girl (Mostly Useless; Twine).
Organized by Aaron A. Reed:
- Spring Thing 2014. 9 entries. Winner: The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost (Briar Rose; ChooseYourStory).
- Spring Thing 2015. 9 entries (6 in Main Festival and 3 in Back Garden).
- Spring Thing 2016. 17 entries (10 in Main Festival and 7 in Back Garden).
- Spring Thing 2017.
- Spring Thing 2018.