|Authoring system||Inform 7|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
In Arg Varkana, a quiet and isolated city-state among the mountains, people are looking forward to the arrival of ambassadors from the technologically-superior land of Ashtarta. Their aim, it is said, is to extend relationships for mutual benefits.
Meanwhile Farahnaaz, a library employee, is assigned by her supervisor to repair an old book and hide it from the Ashtartans lest one of them - who belongs to an infamous order of scholars - takes notice of it.
She neglects her task until the very arrival of the ambassadors. And having no options left, with her friend's help she goes to spy on the guests while they disembark, to see if there's such a scholar among them in the first place.
- Varkana (Maryam Gousheh-Forgeot; 30-Sep-2007; Glulx).
- Beta-testing by David Fisher, Jacqueline A. Lott, George Oliver and Eric Forgeot.
- Release 1 / Serial number 070930 / Inform 7 build 4X60 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/11N)
- IFID: F3F84942-4CC3-49B4-B0E9-4E56B9E9D65F
IFID links: IFDB,
Babel metadata, Babel download.(Note: Babel services at IF Archive are not yet available.)
- IF Comp 2007: 6th place of 27 entries.
- XYZZY Awards 2007: Winner of Best Setting. Also, finalist for Best Individual PC (Farahnaaz).
- Author's website
- Varkana - at Baf's Guide.
- Varkana - at IFDB.
- Varkana - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).
- Review by Sam Kabo Ashwell.
- Review by Daphne Brinkerhoff.
- Review by Wade Clarke.
- Review by J. D. Clemens.
- Review by Andreas Davour.
- Review by Jason Dyer.
- Review by N. B. Horvath.
- Review by Denis Klotz.
- Review (in Russian), (English translation) by Valentine Kopteltsev (uux).
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by Wendy Moon.
- Review by Carl Muckenhoupt.
- Review by Marnie Parker.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by Emily Short.
- Review by Mike Snyder.
- Review by Benjamin Sokal.
- Review by Mark J. Tilford.
- Review by Jake Wildstrom.