Because crafting CYOAs is absurdly easy,—any set of webpages with links connecting them could claim to be a CYOA—the IFWiki cannot and will not document or even attempt to list every CYOA out there. We will consider documenting a CYOA work if it satisfies at least two of the following conditions:
- It's in the IF Archive.
- It was an entry in a instance of a recurring IF competition, including LOTECH Comp.
- It was written in a major IF authoring system (Inform, ADRIFT, TADS, Hugo, Alan) or Adventure Book.
- It was written by an author who has also authored non-CYOA IF.
- It is non-trivial CYOA. To be non-trivial, a CYOA must exhibit at least one of the following features:
- The CYOA has a memory. The CYOA can automatically keep track of the player's score, the PC's stats and inventory, remember what key events have taken place so far, and so on. A CYOA that offers choices like "if you picked up the amulet, go to page 233" is cheating. A good CYOA should not offer choices that player shouldn't be allowed to pick.
- The CYOA sometimes asks the player to type in a password (or other keyword or key phrase learned in the game) to progress.
- The CYOA features a "trick" where the player must deduce that an option not explicitly offered is actually a valid choice for their current situation.
Also, any HTML/DHTML "riddle game" where the player is expected to look at the source code or type in URLs into the browser's address bar is explicitly denied a listing here.
Pages in category "CYOA"
The following 63 pages are in this category, out of 63 total.