Games by American State
Some games have specific locales set somewhere in the United States. Here is a list of some games sorted by which state that each game takes place in.
|Undetermined or Fictional American State|
Avoid listing a game on this page twice. If a game takes place in two or more states, it should be sorted with the state where the majority of the action takes place. If it's not obvious which state is featured more, place the game with the state which appears earliest in the game. Add a note after the game reference that briefly lists which states are featured in the game.
If a game obviously takes place in the United States, but the exact state is fictional or cannot be determined, then list it at the bottom of the page under Undetermined or Fictional State. Of course, if the state can be later determined, the game reference should be moved to the appropriate state.
- The Big Mama (Brendan Barnwell; 2000; Z-code). Las Forena, CA.
- Ditch Day Drifter (Michael J. Roberts; 1990; TADS 2). Caltech, CA.
- Flat Feet (Joel Ray Holveck; 2005; Z-code). San Francisco, CA.
- The Great Xavio (Reese Warner; 2004; Z-code). IF Comp 2004. San Francisco, CA.
- Guilty Bastards (Kent Tessman; 1998; Hugo. Los Angeles, CA.
- Hollywood Hijinx (Dave Anderson and Liz Cyr-Jones, publisher: Infocom; 1986; Z-code). Hildebud, Malibu, CA.
- Return to Ditch Day (Michael J. Roberts; 2004; TADS 2 and TADS 3). Intro 'somewhere in South Asia'; mainly in Caltech, CA.
- Tinseltown Blues (Chip Hayes; 2002; Z-code). Spring Thing 2002. Paramount Studios, Hollywood, CA.
- The Witness (Stu Galley, publisher: Infocom; 1983; Z-code). Cabeza Plana, CA.
- Tales from the College presents A Breath of Fresh Blair (Jesse Burneko; 1996; Z-code). Colorado Springs, CO.
- 1981 (Adam Cadre as "A.D. McMlxxxi"; 2001; Z-code). SmoochieComp. New Haven, CT; endgame in Washington DC.
- Deadline (Marc Blank, publisher: Infocom; 1982; Z-code). Lakeville, CT.
- Augustine (Terrence V. Koch; 2002; TADS 2). IF Comp 2002. The beginning is in Wales; the rest is in St. Augustine, FL.
- South Beach Rum Runner (The Risqué Floridian; 25-May-1993)
- LASH - Local Asynchronous Satellite Hookup (Paul O'Brian; 2000; Z-code). Near Macon, GA.
- Sunset Over Savannah (Ivan Cockrum; 1997; TADS 2. IF Comp 1997. Savannah, GA.
- The Crescent City at the Edge of Disaster (Emily Short; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 2001. New Orleans.
- The Crouton Caper (Andrew Schepler; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 2001. New Orleans.
- Tall Tales in the Big Easy (Peter Berman; 2001; TADS 2). Speed-IF 2001. New Orleans.
- Tooth Ow Zunden Won! (Duncan Cross; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 2001. New Orleans.
- Suspect (Dave Lebling, publisher: Infocom; 1984; Z-code). Ashcroft Manor, Crofton, MD.
- Blue Chairs (Chris Klimas; 2004; Z-code). IF Comp 2004. Dundalk, MD
- Greystone (Howard A. Sherman, publisher: Malinche Entertainment; 2003; Z-code). Greystone Park, NJ.
- Heroine's Mantle (Andy Phillips; 2000; Z-code). Probably Atlantic City, NJ, although so heavily fictionalised that it could easily be an unrelated, wholly fictional Atlantic City.
- Save Princeton (Jacob Weinstein, Karine Schaefer; 1991; TADS 2). Princeton, NJ.
- Blue Sky (Hans Fugal; 2004; Z-code). IF Comp 2004. Santa Fe, NM.
- Trinity (Brian Moriarty, publisher: Infocom; 1986; Z-code). Jornada del Muerto desert, NM.
- 2604 (Admiral Jota; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 17. Manhattan.
- Generic New York Apartment (NewKid; 1999; TADS 2.
- The Hand That Rocks The Pumpkin (Christopher Huang; 1998; Z-code). Speed-IF 2.
- Kids, don't eat your Halloween candy [...] (Dan Shiovitz; 1998; TADS 2). Speed-IF 2.
- Lost New York (Neil deMause; 1996; TADS 2).
- The Pumpkin (Andrew Schepler; 1998; Z-code). Speed-IF 2.
- SpeedIF #2 (J. Robinson Wheeler; 1998; Z-code). Speed-IF 2.
- A Stroll on the Roof (Sam Thursfield; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 17. Manhattan.
- The Underoos That Ate New York (G. Kevin Wilson; 1994; TADS 2).
- Leather Goddesses of Phobos (Steve Meretzky; 1986; Z-code). Intro in Upper Sandusky, OH; most of game is on Venus, Mars, and Phobos.
- The Fire Tower (Jacqueline A. Lott; 2004; Z-code). 2004 IF Art Show. Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- A Freak Accident Leaves Seattle Pantsless (Christopher Huang; 2000; Z-code). Speed-IF 8. Seattle, WA.
- I Went to the WTO Ministerial Conference and All I Got Was This Souvenir Delegate From Mauritius (Matthew Amster-Burton; 2000; TADS 2). Speed-IF 8. Seattle, WA.
- Pantsless in Seattle (David Cornelson; 2000; Z-code). Speed-IF 8. Seattle, WA.
Undetermined or Fictional State
- untitled (Peter Berman; 1998; TADS 2). Speed-IF 4. Pacific Coast Highway.
- 9:05 (Adam Cadre; 1999; Z-code). Las Mesas, DO.
- Anchorhead (Michael Gentry; 1998; Z-code). IF Comp 1998. New England.
- HI (Ideal New England High School) (NewKid; 1998; TADS 2. Littletown (fictitious), New England.
- Interstate Zero (Adam Cadre; 1997; Z-code). Dorado.
- She's got a Thing for a Spring (Brent VanFossen; 1997; Z-code. Northern Rocky Mountains; whether in US or Canada is uncertain.