Graham Nelson, a mathematician and poet, is one of the central figures of the IF community. He helped to reverse-engineer and expand a portable virtual machine, and created a free programming language and compiler for IF. He has also written several influential essays, a well-respected programming manual, and one of the most widely-distributed games in the IF community.
- Curses (1993; Z-code).
- Balances (1994; Z-code).
- Jigsaw (1995; Z-code).
- The Meteor, the Stone and a Long Glass of Sherbet (as "Angela M. Horns"; 1996; Z-code), for IF Comp 1996 (1st place). Was a finalist for Best Individual Puzzle, Best Puzzles, Best Writing, and Best Game at the XYZZY Awards 1996.
- The Tempest (1997; Z-code). IF Comp 1997: 25th place. Winner of Best Use of Medium at the XYZZY Awards 1997.
- The Reliques of Tolti-Aph (01-Mar-2006; Z-code). Homepage (archived).
- Ported Adventure and Adventureland to the Z-machine.
- With Adam Atkinson: ported Crobe, Fyleet, and Quest for the Sangraal to the Z-machine.
- Helped reverse engineer and expand the Z-machine.
- Designed the Inform authoring system.
- Deja Vu (1993; Z-code). A demo for the Z-machine.
- Time and Dwarves (1998; Inform source code). Demo code for Inform programmers.
- Released Inform 7 as a public beta in 2006.
Review and Article Credits
- "The Craft of the Adventure." 2nd ed. The IF Archive, 1995.
- "On Jigsaw and I." XYXXYnews #6. The IF Archive and Bran Muffin Communications, 1995.
- Judged the Acorn User 1996 Interactive Fiction Competition.
- On the advisory board for the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation.
- The Inform Designers Manual. Fourth Edition. The IF Archive, 2001.
- Wrote the documentation for Inform 7.
As an NPC:
As a reference:
- All Quiet on the Library Front (Michael S. Phillips; 1995; Z-code). IF Comp 1995. The PC needs a book by Graham Nelson from the library.
- Basket of Destiny (John Cater; 2001; Z-code). Speed-IF 15. A cardboard cutout of Graham Nelson blocks the entrance to a TV studio.
- Being Steve (Anonymous; 2006; Z-code). The PC insults Graham Nelson via computer.
- Home page of Graham Nelson
- Baf's Guide listing for Graham Nelson (archived)
- Graham Nelson at Wikipedia.
- inform7.com - The official, current Inform website.
- inform-fiction.org - The old Inform website, no longer kept up to date.
- Нельсон, Грэхем (Nelson, Graham) at IF-Вики (the Russian IF wiki).