- This article is about the yearly IntroComp that is open to games written in any authoring system.
For the ADRIFT-only versions, see ADRIFT Intro Comp 2005 and ADRIFT IntroComp 2009.
There was also a Speed-IF Introcomp in 2007.
IntroComp is an interactive fiction competition that was conceived by Neil deMause. Entrants submit excerpts of unfinished games, which the public votes on. Currently, only the top three games in the voting receive placements and are called the 'winners'. Winners have a year to complete their games before they can claim their prizes.
Until 2017, only beginnings of works could be entered. A rule change in 2017 allowed excerpts to be taken from the beginning, middle, or end of a work.
Note that IntroComp entries are not eligible for XYZZY Awards until they are completed. The year that an IntroComp game is completed is the year when that game becomes eligible for the XYZZY Awards.
IntroComps to date
Organized by Neil deMause:
Organized by Jacqueline A. Lott:
- IntroComp 2003: 6 entries. Winner: The Mage Wars: Statue (Jim Fisher; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2004: 7 entries. Winner: Intro to Jabberwocky (Gregory Weir; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2005: 7 entries. Winner: Deadsville (William McDuff; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2006: 7 entries. Winner: Southern Gothic (Mordechai Shinefield; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2007: 7 entries. Winner: The King of Shreds and Patches (Jimmy Maher; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2008: 6 entries. Winner: Phoenix's Landing: Destiny (Carolyn VanEseltine; Glulx).
- IntroComp 2009: 3 entries. Winner: Obituary (Drew Mochak and Johnny Rivera; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2010: 9 entries. Winner: Tourist Trap (Iain Merrick; Z-code).
- IntroComp 2011: 13 entries. Winner: Choice of Zombies (Heather Albano; Web browser).
- IntroComp 2012: 6 entries. Winner: Resonance (Nereida Scales; Web browser).
- IntroComp 2013: 7 entries. Winner: Best Laid Plans (David Whyld; Glulx).
- IntroComp 2014: 10 entries. Winner: The Cuckold's Egg (Daniel Ravipinto; Glulx).
- IntroComp 2015: 6 entries. Winner: Beyond Division (Joseph Geipel; Glulx).
- IntroComp 2016. 7 entries. Winner: Spellbound (Adam Perry; Glulx).
- IntroComp 2017. 11 entries. Winner: Sherlock Indomitable (mathbrush; Glulx).
Completed IntroComp games to date
- Fellowship of the Ring (Adam Thornton; 2002; Atari).
- Weishaupt Scholars (Michael C. Martin; 2005–2007; Z-code).
- Child's Play (Stephen Granade; 2006–2007; Z-code).
- The King of Shreds and Patches (Jimmy Maher; 2007–2009; Glulx).
- Cryptozookeeper (Robb Sherwin; 2010–2011 ; Hugo).
- Speculative Fiction (Diane Christoforo and Thomas Mack; 2011–2012; Z-code).
- Choice of Zombies (Heather Albano and Richard Jackson; 2011–2012; Web browser).
- Scroll Thief (Daniel M. Stelzer; 2014–2015; Glulx).
- Sherlock Indomitable (mathbrush; 2017–2018; Glulx).