Difference between revisions of "Varytale"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''Varytale''' is a platform for authoring and publishing browser-based [[CYOA]], created by [[I.D. Millington|Ian Millington]]
'''Varytale''' is a platform for authoring and publishing browser-based [[CYOA]], created by [[I.D. Millington|Ian Millington]] [[Alexis Kennedy]]; it occupies a point somewhere between [[Undum]] and [[StoryNexus]].
Revision as of 21:17, 25 May 2013
- Rather than a tree-shaped structure, Varytale games are (by default) primarily quality-based. Each storylet becomes available to the player based not on their immediately previous action, but on stored qualities. (Within an individual storylet, choices are more likely to be made in a more conventional branching CYOA manner.)
- Because of this, Varytale works tend to be divided into scenes or vignettes, rather than describing continuous action.
- Attractive, browser-native layout.
- Form-based editing, and simple state-tracking and logic.
- Varytale games can only be published via the Varytale site.
- Play analytics and user comments on individual storylets are gathered for authors.
- Works are awarded different cover styles depending on their popularity.