|Original release||April 14th, 2019|
|Platform(s)||Anything with a C compiler|
|Graphics||ANSI, ASCII, sixel, UTF-8|
Since its first release in early 2019, dMagnetic is a Magnetic Scrolls interpreter for modern devices. Its main goal is being as portable as possible, and can be found in various operating systems as a pre-compiled package. Instead of relying on graphical libraries such as GTK, QT or SDL, it is designed to run the games in a terminal window.
Being an interpreter, dMagnetic needs the original game binaries to play them. Since release 0.29, it is capable of reading them in one of the following formats:
- .mag/.gfx files (from the Magnetic Scrolls Memorial)
- MS DOS directories
- C64 Disk images (D64)
- Magnetic Windows Resource Files
- Amstrad CPC disk images (DSK)
- Acorn Archimedes
- AtariXL/Atari800 ATR image files
Magnetic Scrolls was known for its beautiful graphics. dMagnetic is capable of displaying them, on its own, in the terminal window.
- none - does not render the graphics
- monochrome - Renders images as ASCII Art
- low ansi - Renders images in 16-Color ANSI Art
- high ansi - Truecolor graphics
- sixel - High Resolution graphics
- utf - Uses UTF-8 characters to render the pictures
- Debian/Ubuntu: % apt-get install dmagnetic
- OpenBSD: % pkg_add dmagnetic
dMagnetic 0.23, running "The Guild of Thieves" in sixel mode.
dMagnetic 0.23, running "The Guild of Thieves" in low ansi mode.
- https://www.dettus.net/dMagnetic - Project homepage
- https://repology.org/project/dmagnetic/versions - Packages for various operating systems
- https://msmemorial.if-legends.org/ - The Magnetic Scrolls Memorial
- https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dmagnetic/dMagnetic.1.en.html - Manpage for dMagnetic (from Debian)