"Infiltrate the elite levels of the Hedge. Battle the horror within. Escape with your life and everyone will be pretty impressed."
|Authoring system||Inform 7|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
You might be anyone, carrying nothing. A taxi has just dropped you off outside the Hedge, a mysterious and notorious club located on the city's northern outskirts. A muscular bouncer in a tuxedo blocks the arched entrance to the east. He carries a list.
The Hedge is rumored to be a heaven for society's elite and powerful, and a deathtrap for people like yourself. But your life is a shambles, you're desparate, and you have nothing left to lose. You plan to redeem yourself by entering the Hedge, besting its challenges, and surviving.
- The right-hand side of the status bar shows your current mood, e.g.: world-weary, concerned, etc.
- SCORE and FULL SCORE commands are supported. Your current score is displayed with your current rank, beginning with Cocky.
- Conversation with NPCs is basic ask-tell, but extremely limited with respect to supported topics.
- Limited in-game help is provided by an NPC called the Hedge Oracle, summoned with the "HELP" command. His help, if he gives you any, is based on the PC's current situation.
- Vague PC identity. Assuming you can get past the bouncer, you will acquire the name "Green Eleven". Hints about the PC's past are suggested by the PC's doleful comments when entering new locations or examining various objects.
- The game will usually not protect the player-character from taking foolish actions. For example, the PC will go blind if he or she looks directly at the sun too often.
- Multiple endings. The losing endings are numbered from Failure #1 to #18.
- Hedge (Steven Richards; 30-Sep-2006; Z-code 5).
- Hedge - at IFReviews.org.
- Review by Stephen Bond.
- Review by Matthew Carey.
- Review by Celestianpower.
- Review by J. D. Clemens.
- Review by Riff Conner (Rifflesby).
- Review by crowheart.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by N. B. Horvath.
- Review by Joshua Houk.
- Review by Christopher Huang (Miseri).
- Review by Admiral Jota.
- Review by Valentine Kopteltsev.
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by James Mitchelhill.
- Review by Justin Morgan.
- Review by Rob Myall.
- Review by Andrew Plotkin.
- Review by Reiko.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by Emily Short.
- Review by Mark J. Tilford (ralphmerridew).
- Review by Urbatain. (Also longer version, in Spanish.)
- Review by Marc Valhara.
- Review by Jerome C West.
- Review by David Whyld.
- Review by Anonymous (by request).