Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis
Also known as Stiffy Makane: Apocolocyntosis.
|Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis|
|Release date(s)|| TWIFcomp: 25-Apr-2010|
Spring Thing: 04-Apr-2011
|Authoring system||Perl and Inform 7|
|Platform(s)||Linux and Glulx|
|License(s)||Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Unported license|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
The game begins with a random dedication, usually either to someone in the IF community or someone heavily referenced in the game.
PROLOGUE: You are Stiffy Makane (Mentula Macanus), one of the better-hung Romans, currently wearing your toga and carrying the Golden Banana of Discord. You're currently atop a battlement and beset by a Gostak chief determined to distim your dosh -- or bash your head in with his mace, which seems more likely. Assuming you do not get your head bashed in, you may pause to remember how all your adventures began.
You are in the forum of Rome, greatest city in the world. Here you can find the Temple of Jupiter Virilis (tall and erect), the Temple of Eris (golden), the Via Sacra, and the Curia, which burned down a few years ago, but you think you see Caesar and his friends on the steps.
TWIFcomp Release (Perl abuse)
- Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis (Adam Thornton as "One of the Bruces and Drunken Bastard"; 25-Apr-2010; Linux).
Release 1 (Spring Thing release)
- Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis (Adam Thornton as "One of the Bruces and Drunken Bastard"; 04-Apr-2011; Glulx).
- Testers: The first wave: Marnie Parker, Robb Sherwin, Gin Rosenkranz, Amy Horton, Tracy Jo Barnwell, Andrew Plotkin, Tomasz Pudlo, and S. John Ross. The second wave: Jonathan Goodwin, Martin McGreal, Mark Oates, and Jason Warchol.
- Enormous thanks to Amy Horton (my long-suffering wife).
- In Memoriam: Gin Rosenkranz and Vinnie.
- Release 1 / Serial number 110329 / Inform 7 build 6G60 (I6/v6.32 lib 6/12N)
- IFID: B6C99936-4B58-4895-BAFD-653660E7A005
IFID links: IFDB, IFDB cover
- Spring Thing 2011: 4th place of 6 entries.
- XYZZY Awards 2011: Winner of Best Individual PC (Mentula Macanus). Finalist for 4 awards: Best Game, Best Writing, Best Setting and Best Puzzles.
- Download options:
- Review by Sam Kabo Ashwell.
- XYZZY Review for "Best Writing" by Sam Kabo Ashwell.
- XYZZY Review for "Best Setting" by Marco Innocenti.
- XYZZY Review for "Best Setting" by Jacqueline A. Lott.
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- XYZZY Review for "Best Individual PC" by Marius Müller.
- Review by Steven Odhner.
- Review by Emily Short.
- Some notes on _Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis_ (by the author) - RGIF, May 17, 2011.