|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
You are Rosalind Wechsler, almost 13 years old and the daughter of Gretchen and Rolf, carrying your wicker basket. You stand in the main room of your home where you see the dining table and chairs, the stove, your clothes chest, and your bed. On the table is a jar of honey, a bottle of wine, and a loaf of bread. Your mother's room is north, and the front porch is east.
It's almost your birthday, but you can hear your mother crying behind her door like she does every year. (An accident involving your father and brother happened when you were very young.) Although you understand her grief, you are angry that you are ignored. Also, your grandmother promised to visit and didn't. You decide to check up on her, taking some goodies with you to her house in the woods, and leave your mother to her mourning.
- The game is loosely based on the fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood" blended with another equally well-known story.
- The first meeting of the PC and the wolf is done as a long cutscene, broken into digestable passages with pauses.
- Internal help menus based on context. The help menu only lists topics about what you've seen so far.
- Backstory is revealed mostly via flashbacks associated with particular items or locations. It is possible to learn the names of nine members of the PC's family tree.
- Multiple endings. The endings are numbered from 1 to 8.
Trivia and Comments
- License and copyright: Copyright © Jason Ermer 2006. Moon-Shaped may be downloaded, used, and distributed free of charge. Selling or including this work in any for-profit or commercial compilation without prior written consent of the author is prohibited. In all cases this copyright notice must remain intact.
- Moon-Shaped (Jason Ermer; 30-Sep-2006; Z-code 8).
- Release 1 / Serial number 060929 / Inform 7 build 3V01 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/11N)
- Beta-testing by Shawn Tyson, James Jolley, Mara Meijers, Marius Müller as Marius, Jason O. and Reiko Yukawa.
- IFID: 85DA0BBD-6E25-4AF1-88F3-7305AE4E1DE0
IFID links: IFDB
- Room count: 30.
- IF Comp 2006: 5th place of 43 entries.
- XYZZY Awards 2006: Finalist for Best Story and Best NPCs.
- Download Moon-Shaped.z8 from the IF Archive - Story file.
- Moon-Shaped - at IFReviews.org.
- Review by Stephen Bond.
- Review by Richard Bos.
- Review by Matthew Carey.
- Review by Celestianpower.
- Review by J. D. Clemens.
- Review by Riff Conner (Rifflesby).
- Review by crowheart.
- Review by Jason Devlin and Mike Snyder.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by Federico Gobbo.
- Review by Hipolito.
- Review by N. B. Horvath.
- Review by Joshua Houk.
- Review by Christopher Huang (Miseri).
- Review by Robin Douglas Johnson.
- Review by Admiral Jota.
- Review by Valentine Kopteltsev.
- Review by Jimmy Maher.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by Justin Morgan.
- Review by Rob Myall.
- Review by Andre Phillips.
- Review by Ryusui.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review: 1 and 2 by Emily Short.
- Review by Mike Snyder.
- Review by Mark J. Tilford (ralphmerridew).
- Review by Marc Valhara.
- Review by Jerome C West.
- Review by David Whyld.
- Review by Anonymous (by request).