|Authoring system||Inform 7|
How It Begins
- Instead of traditional IF commands, Starborn uses keyword entry. For example, instead of typing a direction like NORTH, the player types the name of the room to visit, e.g.: HALLWAY. Most of the other keywords are names of nearby objects which can be examined. Naming an object will usually just act like EXAMINE [object], but if there's anything else that can be usefully done with the object, that will happen as well.
- The SETUP command lists several options on how the player can configure the game's output.
- OPTION [number] lets the player choose how keywords are highlighted. For example, OPTION 1 results in capitalized keywords (this is the default), OPTION 2 results in boldface keywords, and so on.
- KEYWORDS OFF turns off all keyword highlighting.
- KEYWORDS REPEAT turns on an optional message that lists all available keywords at the end of each turn.
- KEYWORDS DEFAULT resets all keyword-related display options to their defaults.
- PROMPT OFF and PROMPT ON toggle the display of the > prompt.
Trivia and Comments
- Walker & Silhouette (C.E.J. Pacian; 2009; TADS 3) was an inspiration for Starborn and uses similar mechanics.
Speed-IF version (Release 1)
- Starborn (Juhana Leinonen; 08-Jan-2011; Z-code 5).
Note: Version 1 was uploaded to Floyd and played by ClubFloyd as planned. However, the author of Starborn has asked that it not be included as part of the Speed-IF collection. Instead, players should play the post-comp release.
Post-comp version (Release 2)
- Starborn (Juhana Leinonen; 15-Jan-2011; Z-code).
- Cover art composed by Juhana Leinonen from images by NASA (Public Domain) and Suiseiseki [CC-BY-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Cover art license CC-BY-3.0.
- Release 2 / Serial number 110116 / Inform 7 build 6F95 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/12N)
- IFID: AD80FFCD-EC11-4BBA-9168-53BF2EDE008C
IFID links: IFDB
- Download Starborn.zblorb from googlecode.com.
New features in the post-comp version:
- options to change keyword and prompt display,
- the Open Source license,
- cover art.
- Starborn (Juhana Leinonen; 10-Jan-2012; Undum/Vorple)
A year after the second Inform 7 release, the work was ported by the author to Undum using the (at the time unreleased) Vorple 1.2 framework. The keywords are replaced by a hyperlink interface, and the game features a dynamic map, as well as music.
- Starborn homepage (GitHub repository).
- Starborn - at IFDB.
- Starborn - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).