Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort
| Yon Astounding Castle!|
of some sort
|Author(s)||Duncan Bowsman as "Tiberius Thingamus"|
|Release date(s)|| Intro: 31-May-2009|
|Authoring system||ADRIFT 4|
|Cruelty scale||Cruelty to be determined|
How It Begins
Ye are yeself. Ye hath grown tired o' ye work at Ye Olde Post Office, and therefore hath struck out to Yon Astounding Castle seeking to better ye place in ye world.
Therefore ye now standeth outside yon castle, hoping ye might filleth ye olde treasure sack with treasure-like things from within.
Note: Most of these features are only in the full game.
- Faux Olde English. Lots of "ye" and "yon", etc. throughout the game. Some reviewers found this feature tiresome; others were amused or got used to it.
- Synthesized speech, if played via the ADRIFT Runner, created with TextAloud and Audacity. Players don't need to hear the speech to be able to play the game, but it does add to the cheesiness factor. Some of the pronouncements are:
- "Forsooth! Prepareth yeself, adventurer, for ye hath enter'd ... Yon Astounding ... Castle! ... of some sort." - said when the game begins.
- "Huzzah!" - said when the PC obtains a treasure.
- "What, ho!" - said when the PC obtains a silver key.
- "Alas! Ye hath died." - said when the PC dies.
- "Congratulations on yon stunning victory." - said when the player wins.
- "Oh no!" - said when Goblin Bob steals from the player and when the player enters the maze.
- Onomatopoeic sound effects for the sleeping powder ("poofth!"), teleportation device ("bweeeuuff!"), elven longbow ("blang!"), and the snake charming flute.
- One object in the game operates as a Mad Lib, where the player can determine what the item is (with some limitations). However, the resulting item must be referred to as "Fred" in commands.
- Some wordplay. One series of rooms are all "-akery" names, beginning with Ye Bakery, then Ye Cakery, and so on. Another room in the game is largely alliterative, using mostly all P words.
- Footnotes in two varieties, regular and puzzle. At certain points in the game, the player may be directed to look at, for example, Footnote 2, or Puzzle Footnote 6. The player should type FOOTNOTE 2 or PUZZLE FOOTNOTE 6 respectively to read them.
- Your score is the number of treasures that the PC has obtained, and each score has its own rank, beginning with "Yon Temporary Licker of Stamps" with zero treasures.
- Extra commands:
- TUTORIAL (or TUT). Lists most of the commands that the player will need to use to play the game.
- WIN. Ends the game in victory at any time. The conclusion of the game, describing your return home and subsequent life, will be based on how many treasures that your character acquired during the game.
Trivia and Comments
- Fred can produce 13 different sound effects, including "Are you crazy!?", "You're no mannequin!", and "Tell me about yer problems."
- Players who defeat the evil wizard and pick up the royal scepter receive a special victory message and image.
- THE SPITEFUL CLUNGE will abduct foul-mouthed players and place them in Time-Out. It will then drop them back off outside the castle. (Cynlref pna hfr guvf gb rfpncr gur znmr vs arprffnel, nf gur FCVGRSHY PYHATR vf abg nssrpgrq ol nagv-gryrcbegngvba svryqf. --rot13'd to prevent spoilers)
- The last scene in Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort can be beaten with the command "GUEBJ GUREZNY CBQ." (rot13'd to prevent spoilers)
ADRIFT IntroComp Release
- Ye Intro for Yon Astounding Castle! of Some Sort (Duncan Bowsman as "Tiberius Thingamus"; 31-May-2009; ADRIFT 4).
IF Comp 2009 Release
- Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort (Duncan Bowsman as "Tiberius Thingamus"; 01-Oct-2009; ADRIFT 4).
- Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort (Duncan Bowsman as "Tiberius Thingamus"; 03-Feb-2010; ADRIFT 4).
- Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort (archived) - at Baf's Guide.
- Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort - at IFDB.
- Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort - at ifwizz interactive fiction (in German).
See also: reviews at the Delron site.
- Review by Philip Armstrong.
- Review by Sam Kabo Ashwell.
- Review by Renee Choba.
- Review by Conrad.
- Review by Dark Star.
- Review by Ben Dixon.
- Review by Nate Dovel - in SPAG.
- Review: 1 and 2 by Shane Fitzgerald-Gale.
- Review by David Fletcher.
- Review by FrozenIsles Productions.
- Review by Victor Gijsbers.
- Review by Hipolito.
- Review by Christopher Huang.
- Review by Denis Klotz.
- Review (in Russian) by Valentine Kopteltsev (uux).
- Review by Amanda Lange.
- Review by Yoon Ha Lee.
- Review by Juhana Leinonen.
- Review by Michael Martin.
- Review by Rob Menke.
- Review by George Oliver.
- Review by Wesley Osam.
- Review by Jenni Polodna.
- Review by George Shannon.
- Review by Dan Shiovitz.
- Review by Mike Snyder.
- Review by Michael Neal Tenuis.
- Review by Jake Wildstrom.