CellarDoor is an Inform (Z-Code and Glulx) interpreter for PalmOS. It is based on the code of Fangorn’s CliFrotz 1.6. As such, CellarDoor maintains support for Z-Machine story files, while adding support for Glulx stories, as well as Z-Machine and Glulx stories wrapped in the Blorb file format (.zblorb and .gblorb files).
CliFrotz was based on the Frotz v2.43 interpreter. Frotz is an Interactive Fiction interpreter that plays Z-Machine (Infocom, Inform, Z-Code) games such as Zork and Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. CliFrotz supported V1-V8 games and V6 MG1 graphics.
CellarDoor adds Glulx support via the Git interpreter (1.2) and uses a modified version of the CheapGlk library (0.9.0). It supports JPEG and PNG graphics, if they are found in Blorb files.
It requires a hi-res screen, OS4 or later, an expansion card and the large dynamic memory area available from OS4 onwards.
If your handheld does not meet these requirements, you may want to try Frobnitz, PilotFrotz or Kronos.
Principal changes in CellarDoor (relative to CliFrotz):
- Support for Glulx (.ulx), .zblorb and .gblorb files, including Autosave.
- Previous support for Z-Code has been updated to accomodate games produced with Inform 7 (with greater memory demands)
- Support for scalable Blorb graphics (JPEG and PNG)
- 2nd Word List (for multilingual users)
- Quetzal save files now written to per-game folders to help avoid naming collisions.
- More predictable Landscape mode support
- Now compiling with gcc (prc-tools) instead of CodeWarrior
- Using PEAL for ARMlet support
- Using multilink for lazy code sectioning
- Many, many, many bug fixes/memory leak plugs.
- CellarDoor homepage at sourceforge.net
- Announce: CellarDoor RC1 for PalmOS available for download - r*if thread, March 28, 2007.
- Announce: CellarDoor RC2 for PalmOS available - r*if thread, April 9, 2007.
- Announce: CellarDoor 1.0.1 or PalmOS Released -r*if thread, April 12, 2008.
- CellarDoor RC2 - rgif short review from Matt Scudder