Since it first release in early 2019, dMagnetic is a Magnetic Scrolls interpreter for modern devices. Its main goal is being as portable as possible, and can be found in various operating systems as a pre-compiled package. Instead of relying on graphical libraries such as GTK, QT or SDL, it is designed to run the games in a terminal window.
Being an interpreter, dMagnetic needs the original game binaries to play them. Since release 0.24, it is capable of reading them in one of the following formats:
- .mag/.gfx files (from the Magnetic Scrolls Memorial)
- MS DOS directories
- C64 Disk images (D64)
- Magnetic Windows Resource Files
Magnetic Scrolls was known for its beautiful graphics. dMagnetic is capable of displaying them, on its own, in the terminal window.
- none - does not render the graphics
- monochrome - Renders images as ASCII Art
- low ansi - Renders images in 16-Color ANSI Art
- high ansi - Truecolor graphics
- sixel - High Resolution graphics
dMagnetic 0.23, running "The Guild of Thieves" in sixel mode.
dMagnetic 0.23, running "The Guild of Thieves" in low ansi mode.