Meta-Comp was a competition organized by Conrad Cook. It was cancelled for lack of participation.
Meta-Comp bills itself as the comp with no rules, but this by itself is misleading and uninformative. The implicit rules of Meta-Comp are:
- Authors will submit entries consisting of a competition name and description, including rules for that competition, together with an IF game suitable for that competition. The idea is that the submitted game is actually being submitted for the described competition instead of Meta-Comp.
- In the spirit of "no rules", authors may submit as many entries as they like. The games may be incomplete (as per IntroComp). The games may conform to content or formatic restrictions (e.g.: as per ECTOCOMP which was restricted to ADRIFT games with a Hallowe'en or horror theme). Games may be of any length. Games need not be in English.
- Anyone may vote on all entries, including their own entries. Votes are from 1 to 10, with 10 being best. The voting rules of the entry's competition are not followed. It is up to the voters to decide how relevant the competition portion of each entry is, if at all.
- The Meta-Comp organizer gets final say on which entries are valid and which entries are disqualified. The organizer is more likely to disqualify entries that contain illegal content (e.g.: copyrighted from other sources), or entries consisting of games that the submitter did not actually author (e.g.: entering someone else's game), but there is no rule that says he must arbitrate in any particular way.
The comp was cancelled on May 15, 2009. The following dates are no longer valid:
- May 1 – June 1, 2009: early registration (costs $5).
- June 2 – June 17, 2009: normal registration (costs $10).
- June 18 – June 29, 2009: late registration (costs $15).
- Submissions deadline: June 29, 2009.
- July 1 – July 25: judging of the games.
- July 26: winners will be announced.
- Official homepage of the competition.
- R*IF threads:
- Calling the IF Meta-Comp: Define this comp! - announcement, November 29, 2008.
- MetaComp pleased to open BogusComp - February 7, 2009. About Bogus Comp.
- Meta-Comp News - February 21, 2009.
- Meta-Comp Filler (Spam Pending) - March 7, 2009.
- Narrative Linear No Longer (You are overdue for your dose of Meta-Comp Spam...) - March 19, 2009.
- Meta-Comp needs your input... - May 8, 2009.
- Meta-Comp UPDATE - May 15, 2009.